2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim First LookNews | February 3, 2012
Pare down the Harley Davidson Softail bike to its indispensable elements and you have the Slim. From trimmed front fender to narrow rear end, the 2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim is a back-to-basics, no-nonsense motorcycle. Call it stripped or old school or lean and mean. What is left is a rudimentary iconic Harley Davidson style and Softail profile, which recalls classic custom bobbers of 1950s. The cutting-edge ride, which is rich with the company’s history, the Harley Davidson Slim’s old-iron soul comes alive right up front. The exclusive retro-inspired handlebars call back to glory days of 1940s bobbers, while shiny-black headlamp cover and “Cat Eye” console with retro speedometer face add even more swing-era swagger.
The chopped fender and narrow rear tire of the 2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim with its incorporated side mounted license plate and stop/turn/tail light provide a stripped-down profile, which evokes a no-nonsense, iconic style of typical bobbers. The shiny-black retro round air cleaner cover provides the Slim model’s blacked out minimalist Twin Camshaft 103 Engine a raw old school look; it is contemporary power with old iron attitude. Those who are in the market looking for comfortable motorcycle but love that rigid suspension look; Slim is a good choice. You get classic lines of vintage hardtail frame with horizontal rear shocks hidden in guts. It has a signature rigid look, and you will only find it on a Softail model.
The knowledge of what makes the engine of 2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and was put to good use when they created a Twin Camshaft 103 engine. They sweated bullets perfecting every cubic inch, pushing technology and design forward, and they did it all without compromising Harley-Davidson’s distinctive styling. The durability and performance are direct result of untold miles logged on V-Twin since 1909.
Key features of 2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim include:
- Powerplant finished in Black powder-coat with polished covers.
- Air-cooled, rigid-mounted 1690cc Twin Camshaft 103B counter balanced engine with ACR (Automatic Compression Release) rated at 98.7 pound feet of torque @ 3000 rpm.
- Chrome over and under shotgun exhaust with slash-cut mufflers
- Six-Speed Cruise Drive Transmission
- Classic 5-gallon Fat Bob fuel tank
- Shiny Black round air cleaner cover
- 16-inch Dunlop front (MT90B16) and rear (MU85B16) tires
- Cat’s eye black console that holds electronic speedometer with retro-style face
- Hollywood handlebar with cross-brace
- Black Steel Laced wheels
- Gloss black nacelle with punched louvers
- Gloss black headlamp with chrome trim ring
- Chopped rear fender exposes rear tire
- Half-moon footboards with retro-style foot control pads
- Side mounted license plate bracket
- Trimmed FL front fender
- Combination stop/tail/turn taillamps
- Gloss black “horseshoe” oil tank
- Forged rear fender supports are finished in Gloss Black powder-coat
- Security Package Option includes: Harley Davidson Smart Security System with handsfree proximity-based security fob and ABS (Antilock Braking System)
- Paint color choices: Black Denim, Ember Red Sunglo and Vivid Black